[TenTec] Remote rig operations

RaySoifer at cs.com RaySoifer at cs.com
Thu Mar 29 13:40:23 EST 2007

It doesn't affect me personally, because I don't have any CC&Rs governing
antennas, but around 90% of our radio club members here in Green Valley, AZ, do
live in antenna-restricted subdivisions.

Our club, which has over 100 licensed members, has a fairly good club station
(Yaesu Mk V, 3-el Steppir, 40/80 dipoles, linear) but it is located in a
building that is only open during Mon-Fri business hours (for security reasons)
except by special arrangement.  So, we are in the process of setting up a remote
control facility through which any properly-licensed club member with a
high-speed internet connection can operate the club station from home.  It's now
working in prototype and should be rolled out to the members in a month or two.
At first, its capability will be limited to voice operation only, with the
Steppir but without the linear, but that's a whole lot better than most of the
members could do without it.

I bring this up only to note that hams find themselves in a wide variety of
situations, and it'll be great to see the increase in activity that should
result from systems such as this even though I won't need it myself.

73,

Ray W2RS