[TenTec] TT 1208 Transverter problem

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Fri Mar 30 11:28:55 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 08:29 -0400, Mark Erbaugh wrote:
> I have a factory-built 1208 6m / 20m transverter. I haven't used it much
> as I'm not into 6m. However, when testing it out, I discovered a high
> input SWR (around 2.0:1). Other than that, with what little testing I
> can do on 6, it appears to work.  Any suggestions on what might be
> wrong.
>
> 73,
> Mark

Many SWR bridges are not very accurate at low power. If its like my 2m
to 6m transverter, there are a gaggle of resistors in parallel to take
up to ten watts and then a series resistor to pick off a milliwatt for
the transmit mixer, so I'd say the dummy load resistor pack has a
problem of blown or not quite soldered resistors. There is a diode RF
detector hooked there that could also have a problem to change the SWR.
First check is with an ohmmeter. The dummy load should look like 50 ohms
with either ohmmeter polarity, and go from there.

73, Jerry, K0CQ