[TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 14:15:16 EDT 2007

--- K4IA at aol.com wrote:

> If so, how is it that Elecraft, not particularly known for
> software development
> can produce the software that has eluded the Orion for 4
> years now?

The person responsible for the DSP piece of the K3 is from
what I can tell an "outsourced" provider and not actually a
member of Elecraft payroll. Ditto for much of the K3's
hardware design team. A similar situation appears to be the
case for the Flex-5000 as well.

So that begs the question are we seeing the beginnings of a
new trend where our radios will increasingly be designed by
"hired guns" instead of being done exclusively by a
manufacturer's own payroll staff? As you may recall a
significant part of the original Orion's design work was more
or less outsourced as well.

It will all be interesting to watch for sure.

Duane
N9DG