[TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?

Neal Campbell K3NC nealk3nc at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:47:39 EDT 2007

The Flex model is a bit different in that part of the "radio" is in
hardware and part in software. Flex sells the hardware and a
collected group of open-source fanatics build the software. That is
not really the case with the K3. The hardware is Elecraft after a
bunch of advisory group input (if I read it correctly) and the dsp
code was done by the same guy who did the KDSP2 module. I do not know
the business relationship between Lyle and Elecraft but it appears to
me that it has become more formal than just when he did the KDSP2 for
them.

I have no quetstion that the K3 will be a killer rig. I have no doubt
that the O2 is a killer rig. Whether the market determines the O2 is
a grand better than a loaded K3 will be the question. Its not obvious
at this stage what that answer is. If the answer is no, it could mean
a price reduction (compete on cost) a feature enhancement (lets see
the firmware really shine) or product removal (maybe the Omni 7 is
the right price point for selling rigs.

I think the companies who are hanging their future on 10K+ rigs are
in trouble though. The old paradigm has surpassed them.
Microcontrollers and relatively cheap FGPAs, uDSPs, etc. are so
common and usable that "homebrewing" can now develop a 10K rig killer
with much less cost. Just look at the HPSDR project and you can tell
its a new world for smart guys.

As Grant says, however, its all good, life is indeed good for us.

Neal Campbell K3NC
nealk3nc at gmail.com

telnet to our DX Spotting clusters at: dxc.k3nc.com, ports 12001 and 23

"Devoted to Dogs: How to be your dog's best owner"
Great Dog Book  at www.abrohamneal.com