[TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Tue May 1 14:58:22 EDT 2007

Isn't it a bit premature to be making comparisons with radios that aren't
even for sale yet?  The K3, the Bretlinger (that got a fold-out ad in QST,
despite it doesn't have FCC approval yet), the SDR 5000 (still doesn't have
a price or even a picture), the 'maybe' Pro IV or 7800 MkIIGXLi or whatever
they'll call it, haven't been put in the hands of objective users and tested
in contests, DX pile-ups, in labs like Sherwood's or ARRL's, or in
day-to-day rag-chews.  Every one of these rigs will be good at what they do,
but we don't know about the 'warts' yet!  How many will have to be sent back
to the factory within a month or less after delivery?  How much of the specs
in the brochures will turn out to be 'vaporware', advertising hype or just
plain hogwash?

Right now, I'd keep my money in my pocket and wait for some other pioneers
to catch the arrows!

                     Ron Castro
           Chief Technical Officer
              Results Radio, LLC