[TenTec] Ergonomics, Size, Performance tradeoffs of O2

Doug Turnbull turnbull at net1.ie
Tue May 1 17:17:44 EDT 2007

Hi All,
    Perhaps it is age, 63 in my case but for a main station rig I much
prefer a reasonably big radio.   Perhaps I hanker for a 75A4 which never
came my way.   The Orion 2 is a beautiful radio of reasonable size with a
real S meter.   The lack of this meter puts me off the Omni Vii as a second
rig.   I wish the Orion 2 had six but would not sacrifice the performance on
the lower bands for this desire.  The sub-receiver is a feature never used
here and so additional effort put into the main receiver would mean more to
me but to be honest it was a selling feature for me.  I suspect that a PRO 3
will become a second rig for me as much as anything for the six meter
capability but I can not see it replacing the beloved Orion 2.   We are all
different in our needs and I can see the portability of the K3 would be
great for many of us and indeed I would like it but let us see how it
compares in the lab to the Omni vii.   Please TenTec do not downsize your
Orion range!   Yes an improved NR would be nice but what is there now is
okay and I seldom require this feature though perhaps if it really worked
well I would use it more frequently.   TenTec has done a pretty good job of
clearing up a number of our complaints and unfortunately I do not own stock
in the company.

                                      73 Doug EI2CN