[TenTec] Orion V2.060b Comments

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Wed May 2 13:31:30 EDT 2007

Barry (N1EU) said:
"The raspy audio is only there occasionally and I believe it is
dependent on your RF Gain/AF Gain and probably AGC settings.  Worst
case is with high values of RF/AF Gain.  Only some signals or
combinations of signals seem to set it off."
That is where I saw the most problem with V2.060b. Working 20M CW with about a 450Hz bandwidth (600Hz roofing filter in the 1KHz slot in the Orion) my noise level is was between S1 and S2 (When no one is tuning up :-) with the RF gain all the way up (The BS7 is about S3). In order to get enough audio (SONY MDR-V500 headphones) I have to set the  audio to over three quarters level. Then with some added noise, I get a distorted audio sound, particularly on noise spikes.

Its hard to believe how much better V1.373b5 sounds.

I'm sure Ten-Tec is working on the keying issue and hopefully the gain distribution issue in the Orion V2.060b release.
73, Merle - W0EWM