[TenTec] RFI, Computer, Omni IV+ - SOLVED

John Huffman hjohnc at adelphia.net
Wed May 2 19:37:44 EDT 2007

I had a problem, described below.  I got audio distortion whenever I operated the Omni VI+
with my amp, but only if the Omni was connected to my laptop.  I found a solution that
might help someone else.

I tried most everything.  The only real connections from the computer to the radio were
the audio out to computer sound card cable and the CAT serial cable.  I solved the audio
out problem with a Radio Shack audio isolator.

Now, the only other connection between the radio and the computer was the DB25 cable.
Mine was DB25 to DB9 to USB/Serial converter to computer.  I rebuilt the DB25 by removing
everything but pins 2, 3, and 7 for TX, RX, and ground.  Didn't help.  I put ferrites on
the wires (connector 72) that take the serial input to the logic board in the Omni VI.
Didn't help.  I put .01uf caps from pins 2 and 3 to pin 7 (ground).  Didn't help.

Then I got to thinking.  The solution to the audio cable had been an audio isolator,
called a "Ground Loop Isolator" by Radio Shack.  Hmmm, ground loop.

I cut the ground wire on the DB9, removing a ground connection between the computer and
the radio.  I doubted the CAT interface would work with just pins 2 and 3 between the
computer and the radio.  But, it did.  And, my audio distortion when using the amp was
gone.  Not sure why it still works, but I'm not asking any questions.

So, the problem is solved...

Thanks to those who provided suggestions.

73 de K1ESE
John