[TenTec] The ideal transceiver

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 09:40:44 EDT 2007

Craig has the right idea (K3 vs Orion, etc.). Of course, much in
defining the "ideal" transceiver depends on one's operating preferences.

My first criterion is price. My second criterion is ergonomics. If it
ain't comfortable, then I don't want it, no matter how great the
performance. My third criterion is quiet QSK/sidetone along with no
transmit key clicks. My fourth criterion is simple operation sans
computer. A used Orion I doesn't make the cut because it ain't simple to
operate and the software has too many bugs. From these perspectives, the
most satisfying operating I've experienced is with a Jupiter with the
optional Ten-Tec remote.

However, with a Jupiter you don't get high-end IMD3 results, and you
don't get dual receivers, both of which come in very handy from time to
time. The OMNI VII appears able to meet all of the criteria save the
dual receivers. So I'm still waiting.

73,
John, W3ULS