[TenTec] Omni 6

Ralph Matheny mathenyr at marietta.edu
Thu May 17 16:51:12 EDT 2007

same fixes apply to the ONMI V birdies-wise.  I've done several "screw-
tightenings" on mine, and soldered the thru connections.  It does help.
Also, on the RF input board the thru wires should be soldered on both
sides.  If the birdies are really bad, I have had a case of a couple of
bad pin diodes in the bandpass switching setup.  If those diodes fail it
doesn't make the birdies stronger, but reduces the strength of the desired
signals, thus the effect is the same.  For some reason, the diodes in the
12-meter section (which I never use) short or go leaky.

It is my belief, but I have not done it, that shielding the wire harness
around the radio will greatly reduce the birdies.  I have listened with
another rx and found the harness to be just chocked full of assorted
signals and noises.  Perhaps a foil wrap around the harness would be
a cure.

I only have a problem with the birdies on 10-meters.  Elsewhere, they are
rather weak, except for 21.024 I believe. I stopped using the Onmi as a
VHF IF strip because of the 28 meg birdies on 28.2 and others.

Orion has no noted birdies.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place