[TenTec] Orion XVTR RF output

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Tue May 22 14:13:58 EDT 2007

Rick,

I'm not sure that adjusting for ALC light is necessary or desirable.
What counts is your actual RF output to the antenna.  ALC is there to
protect -- well, I'm not sure what ... in the case of the XVTR out.  The
only issue that occurs to me is that you want the RF chain to be working
at high enough levels so that signal-to-noise is acceptable but low
enough to prevent distortion.  The ALC (I would think) is there to
prevent distortion at the high end.

My Elecraft has a fast power indicator, and I have an external SWR meter
with a slower time constant.  Those give me some assurance that I'm
getting good output.

If I wanted higher average to peak power, then I would use the SP
control.  (V. 1 firmware is better for this than V. 2, IMO.)

It would be nice, of course, if TT gave us more info on this mode of
operation.

73 Martin AA6E