[TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Sat May 26 13:38:35 EDT 2007

The other thing to consider is good old fashioned cross-over
distortion at low audio levels.

This seems to be the reason TT suggested a pad (of a couple of
hundered ohms) in series with the headphones with older equipment. I
would have though the AF output amp was better in a multi kilobuck
Orion but perhaps not.

I also wonder if an AF amp in crossover distortion will rectify stray
RF too?

There was a report of a similar issue (Darth Vader voice on an Argosy
in headphones) in the last month.

Either way I'd try the couple of hundred ohm resistor in series with
the headphones (build a little adaptor it will be hand on other rigs).

Or "ancient" high impedance headphones!

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell