[TenTec] Kon Tiki; Call: LI2B

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at gti.net
Mon May 28 10:47:49 EDT 2007

I don't remember the exact setup, but it was written up in the book, Kon
Tiki. Battery charging must have been done by hand crank or by a small
engine.

I was told that one of the operators had been a radio operator for the
Norwegian resistance during WWII. His name was Bernt Bachen?, or
something like that. He wrote his own book about his war experiences,
(probably long out of print and unobtainable).

The Heath HW-32 used in the RA Expedition was set up by Dick Ehrhorn,
founder of ETO Amplifiers.

My own portable is a Scout. Though I don't take it "boating", its a fine
radio for Field Day and cabin camping. I think Ten-Tec should have more
"action photos" in their ads. Look at Yaesu: they show guys camping
beside their antenna-festooned Land Rovers, women mountain climbing with
their HT's and a Toyota Land Cruiser tearing across the red sands of the
Australian Outback. Whether real or not, this feeds the he-man
(she-woman?) fantasy. Maybe Ten-Tec should consider a similar approach.
I'm sure the Argonaut V would fit the portable action radio requirements.

				73,

				Bob WB2VUF