[TenTec] V2.062a AGC in pileups

Dick Green wc1m at msn.com
Wed May 30 11:55:38 EDT 2007

I started out the WPX CW contest running 2.062a. I had big pileups going on
40m for the first couple of hours, and found that it was quite difficult to
separate multiple CW signals. It was reminiscent of the famous FT-1000MP AGC
in which the AGC couldn't be slowed down enough, causing multiple CW signals
in a pileup to blend indistinguishably. Unfortunately, I didn't think to
play with the AGC parameters to see if that would help. I would imagine
Decay would be the relevant parameter, though maybe some extra Hang time
would have helped. I was too busy working the pileups, then they were
suddenly gone. When the rate picked up again, I had already reloaded 1.373b5
to see if it would fix the crash problem that turned out to be caused by my
bad power connector.

In many contests, I've never had an AGC problem like this with 1.373b5. Has
anyone else noticed it under V2? If so, have you identified better AGC
settings?

73, Dick WC1M