[TenTec] Titan III

Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Nov 2 14:36:10 EST 2007

I agree, plus, if you prefer to run barefoot most of the time, which I do,
then you want to be running the transceiver's 100w.  If you need the power,
then it is nice to:

- turn it on and have it function immediately
- not have to worry about re-adjusting the drive

And, although I have heard stories of people blowing 3-500 Amps, I
personally owned:

- Raytrack DX-2000L (in the early 70's)
- Drake L4B (in the early 80's)
- Ameritron AL-80A in the late 80's and early 90's
- QRO Technology HF-2000 in the late 90's and early 00's
- QRO Technology HF-1000 in the late 90's and early 00's

ALL using a pair of 3-500z's except the HF-1000 and AL-80A which had only a
single 3-500z.

At all times, if I was not using my amps in a 48 hour contest, then one of
my friends was.  The amps were used in ALL contests, every year, including
ARRL DX, CQWW DX, and WAE (for SSB, CW, and sometimes RTTY).

Never blew a 3-500 in all of those years and all of those contests!

Also had 5 or 6 other (non-3-500) amps during that 30 year span and either I
or someone else using them blew one or more tubes - in ALL of them.  Tube
types were PL-519 (or US equivalents), 811-A, 572B, and 8874.  Blowing the
572B's was rare and they were cheap back then but nothing is cheap anymore!

Bottom Line:  If money (and reliability) is an issue, your safest bet is
probably the 3-500z (IMHO).  But if you want a more solid 1500w, then you
will have to choose a more modern tube.

73
Rick, NJ0IP (DJ0IP)