[TenTec] Orion II - Power up problem

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Sat Nov 3 13:52:20 EST 2007

While it's hard to diagnose a problem like that over the Internet, several
folks on this list (including me!) have had problems with their Orion II's
losing capacitors on the power distribution board.  In particular, C6, C7
and C9, all 470 uf caps in a voltage regulator circuit that provides power
to the CPU.  Fortunately, the board is very easy to access and the
capacitors can be ordered from Newark or most any other supplier.  Look for
caps that have low ESR and good ripple specs.  Take a look in the archives
of the list and you'll find an interesting string about this problem.

It is indeed possible that this is not what's wrong with your radio, but
it's a good place to start.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com