[TenTec] W2IHY Products and the Orion 2

Doug Turnbull turnbull at net1.ie
Sat Nov 3 14:57:12 EST 2007

Gentlemen,
     The recent correspondence regarding tailoring audio for the Omni V1 has
me wondering.   I have a stock 708 mike for my O2 but am considering the
Heil Pro plus with its two microphone elements one of which is for operating
in a pileup while the other (HC-5) is for normal rag chewing.   Yes the
audio is good from the stock combination but are you saying that it can not
be improved?   I remember using a Magnum Six true RF clipper with the Drake
T4XB and it certainly make a very significant change to my capabilities.
Now previously in this forum the Heil Pro Set Plus boom mike has been
claimed by some to be superior to a desk mike as it is held in a constant
position.   If there is no advantage to tailoring the audio response then is
there any advantage in the Heil HC-4 element?   I do not like the HC-4 sound
when rag chewing but many claim it improves their chances in a pileup.   If
the HC-4 helps then it makes some sense that tailoring the frequency
response within the capabilities of the O2 might also be useful.

In my shack there are many blowers and fans - the 963 power supply on its
own makes too much noise.   With noise sources like these is there no real
gain from a noise gate?

I would be interested in hearing from people who are using the Heil Pro Set
Plus and the combination of Heil Pro Ste Plus with W2IHY products.   It
would also be interesting to know just what settings have been found
advantageous for rag chewing, contests and pileups.   Perhaps keeping it
simple is best.   There are some transceivers that are so difficult to
configure that they have earned a bad reputation.   Thanks for your opinions
and experiences.

                          73 Doug EI2CN