[TenTec] W2IHY Products and the Orion 2

Doug Turnbull turnbull at net1.ie
Tue Nov 6 05:48:23 EST 2007

Gentlemen,
     Thank you for your comments of the other day - I have learned a bit
more.   I would have never considered -10 dB on the TX Eq for rag chewing
much less -13 dB to -15 dB for pileups.   I tried these settings using the
monitor and was surprised that it did not sound too bad at all.   Normally I
use a setting of - 5dB all the time but I will experiment.   I am always
leery of the monitor as one hears ones voice through the body and even
leaking through padded ear muffs.   However it is a useful feature for which
I am grateful.  Thanks to N1EU for these settings.   I also found the
comments from k4tax most helpful.   Thanks also to WA3MKB - the Heil Pro Set
Plus will replace my Sony stereo headphones.   Perhaps Heil should
manufacture their headset without the mike - this would be a useful option.
I am grateful for the information.    There is a false message given by some
that one needs to be an engineer to operate the O2.   The factory settings
are a good starting point but this is a rig which one learns over time how
to tailor for your own needs.

     I hope that TenTec is not so disheartened by our criticisms that they
are through with updates for the Orion series.   We will never all be happy
but I do treasure the O2 and maybe the NR can be further improved - it is
better.   Comments about weaknesses such as electrolytics are helpful to us
all for when the dreaded breakdown occurs.   Thanks again to all for an
excellent forum.

                          73 Doug EI2CN