[TenTec] 227 Tuner Replacement

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Nov 11 14:15:53 EST 2007

Hi Ron,

>  I now have a wire
> going almost vertical about 60 feet into the tree, and then another 50 feet
> down to another tree.
Add some more wire, even if you cannot get the additional wire stretched
out straight or high off the ground, until the total wire length is
closer to a full quarter wavelength long.

> Problem is... well, my trusty little 227 tuner will tune it on 160.  Just
> barely.
Or you could extend the tuning range of your 227. Which component in the
tuner is set to maximum? If it is a capacitor, add some parallel
capacitance to it. If it is an inductor, add some series inductance.
> So the time perchance has come to suppliment or even replace the 227 with
> something else.  Power is not a major concern at present -- I have no
> amps
If you invest in a tuner that can handle higher power, it will also
likely be more efficient at the power level you are presently running,
and when you do get an amplifier someday, you won't be wishing you had
bought the bigger tuner.
> -- but enough built-in inductance to cover 160 is.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for on the used market for a
> reasonable cost?
I really like my TT 238 except for the dial string problems I have had
with it. Seems like they can be had for roughly  $300 plus or minus,
depending on condition.

You'll might have more fun scrounging for parts at hamfests and building
your own. I suggest the 238 as a model, basically an L network with
series inductance and shunt  capacitance switchable to either input or
output side. You can use clip leads (good ones. Build them yourself from
Mueller, Pomona or other quality alligator clips. Don't waist money on
cheapo clip leads) instead of a switch, and it doesn't really need to be
in a box.

DE N6KB

DE N6KB