[TenTec] Using a comptuer microphone with a Triton 4 (544)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Nov 15 14:41:46 EST 2007

I recently purchased (for $5) a headset designed for computer use. It's
the "closed" design, so while to me it eventually becomes uncomfortable,
before that it makes listening easier by reducing external noise.

The microphone, is a low voltage condenser unit that requires DC.
A computer sound card puts out five volts, but I think that much
less will do.

I would like to use this on a Triton IV (D) (model 544), which does not
provide DC. I'm looking for a circuit that would allow me, with a minimum
of parts (parts are hard to find here), to use it.

I expect that I could use a three volt lithium cell and a current
limiting resistor to provide the DC, and then use a capacitor
to block the DC on the input of the radio. I would then have
to use VOX, or an external transmit switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838