[TenTec] Omni VII & SS SSB

Ernie Piche N1SW n1sw at cox.net
Tue Nov 20 06:46:56 EST 2007

Well the SS contest has past and this is the first opportunity to try
out the O7 on crowded SSB bands.  Overall the performance was good
however I am hoping there is a way to replace the 2.5 filter with  1.8 k
filter.  I found that the 2.5  was not good enough to squash the
neighboring  noise.  The DSP filters  help but not enough to make the
rig stand out  in SSB performance.  I ran the radio with the RF gain
about 40% and at least some attenuation  most of the time.  The  DSP
was down as low as it could go and still maintain intelligibility.  I
have an older OMNI C with the 1.8 filter and it has a little better
rejection with that filter.

Can a 1.8 filter be put in the O7?  I think this would be a GREAT
advantage.  Any comments welcome!

Ernie N1SW