[TenTec] QRP with a corsair II?

Ed - K9EW k9ew57 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 09:41:13 EST 2007

> I have the Corsair II and was wondering short of using a bird, how
> might I be sure I'm actually operating QRP?

Hi Gary,

There's an easy-to-build wattmeter that's pretty accurate that I've
been using for years.  It was designed by Roy Lewallen, W7EL, and the
article appears in Feb 1990 QST.  You might find it on the Internet
with a Google search also.

There's also an simple QRP wattmeter on Monty's (N5ESE) website.
Here's the link:  http://www.io.com/~n5fc/nogawatt.htm .

Another alternative is to calibrate the Corsair power meter using a 50
ohm termination, and measuring the voltage across the load.  If this
sounds interesting, take a look at the Elecraft website.  They have a
kit for that, or you can DIY.  It's a terminating power meter though,
not a thru-line.

No need to go to a Bird.

I don't have my Corsair active at the moment, but I've used it on QRP
and it makes a great CW station.

Have fun with it.

73,
ed - k9ew