[TenTec] Receive 17m on Omni ,Tritons, Update

Rob rabbueche at dslextreme.com
Wed Nov 21 14:20:08 EST 2007

17 meters seems to me to be the most useful WARC band to add to a transceiver. Here are the highlights of my Receive modification.
Omni D 17m receive modification. The basic mod is done on the 15 meter band because the VFO tuned circuits can be padded down to 17m with trimmers and the digital readout will read the 18 Mhz Frequency OK. Remove  the 6.99 MHz (15meter) mixer crystal. Put a correct size pin in the  crystal holder to go to a miniature relay which will switch between  the 17m (4.00 MHz) crystal and the 15m crystal. I put the 2 crystals with there pins up, on the crystal block, one each side of the bandswitch shaft. Soldered  60 pf trimmers with stiffer wire to band switch wafers G and H that go to trimmers C11 and C12.  The ground side of the extra trimmers are grounded by a relay to activate 17m when the band switch is set to 15 M I used 2 relays one for the crystals and one for the trimmers. Drill out the rivet in the lower right rear ( facing the front of the Omni) for a minature toggle switch, this is next to a 12 volts dc to operate the relays. Adjust trimmers for noise signal and reduced phase noise?and digital readout. when listening. Look at oscillator signal on the VFO amp board if you have a scope. Pictures available.
Adding transmit capability was not yet sucessful so I am still addressing that design.
Best regards,el Rob
K6BUE   rabbueche at dslextreme.com