[TenTec] Argo 509 mic

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Nov 27 10:20:02 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:52:58PM +0000, jones_winston at bellsouth.net wrote:

> I've used several mics with my 509, including the Ten-Tec banana style
> mic that was sold with it. I get the best results with a Shure 444 high
> impedence. It gives more punch than the Ten-Tec mic. A D-104 works fine
> also, but if it's the amplified model, you have to be careful not to
> overdrive it.

Reading this over I noticed a second part of the question, I also want
to make a comment about the D-104 (and 10DA). The amplifier in these
mikes is not to make them "hotter" or "better", it's to match a high
impedance microphone to a low impedance radio. It won't have any
effect on the audio, except as you say to overdrive the radio
if the gain is set too high.

As to the second original question:

> > I have just aquired an Argonaut 509 and I need a mic for it.
> > What recomendations do some of you have, and is something with an equalizer
> > going to get through a bit better then a standard mic?

Maybe. A speech processor, or the SSB "improvment" mod that is floating
around might help. A microphone that works better for your voice,
for example a 10-DA over a D-104 for mine, or a D-104 over a 10-DA
for my wife, would also help.

With that said, while the Argo's have been around a long time and
lots of people have published mods for them, they are fine performers
as they are. There were many rigs of the time that needed help
(the HW-8 comes to mind), the Argo is not one of them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838