[TenTec] What was a better rig, the Paragon or the Omni V? Maby trade my KWM-2A

Joe Roberts jroberts at io.com
Thu Nov 29 12:45:56 EST 2007

I have a Omni V and Paragon II. I'd call the choice a very tough question.

Theoretically/on paper the Omni is the better rig.

However, I had to do a lot of work on my Omni V, specifically a recap of
a couple boards, to get it quieted down to where I can love it. Also
NEEDS AGC mods badly to work in a smooth fashion. And the INRAD 2.7 1st
IF filter is an absolute MUST for a good sounding Omni V.

Now, after the restoration and mods, it is a totally outstanding rig.
Before this, it was problematic in a couple ways-- internally generated
noise and sounded pretty rough on SSB.

My Paragon II is great as is. I also notice a strange similarity to
Collins audio--maybe its the way the AGC works (quite well, I might
add. Easy listening AM Performance is fantastic on the broadcast bands,
if that is a consideration. It is quiet and a really smooth operating
set. Man, I love this one too.

I find it really hard to choose and would have to say that the correct
answer is "GET BOTH!"

If I wanted to just buy a rig, unpack it and expect fine TT performance
straight off...Paragon II gets the nod, particularly for casual-style
operating.

Not sure how these comments translate to the Paragon I.

Joe N5KAT