[TenTec] O II and headphones?

Pfizenmayer pfizenmayer at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 5 16:55:15 EDT 2007

Speaker output on O II  is MONO. So a simple dropping resistor in series
with the speaker will reduce speaker level if needed - but none of the
various combinations are available .

In fact I know people who use the speaker output with phones and give up
all the possible permutations of which ear hears which rx or both rx ,
binaural etc etc etc . This also solves all the problems with RF getting
back into the headphone
IC output.  It also eliminates some kinds of screwy artifacts in the CW
sidetone - there is a delay between the main and sub receivers so the
monitor cw sidetone with both sub and main rx feeding the phones gets
stretched as if the keying is "softer". If only main-main is fed to phones
this does not occur at all and the monitor is a good replication of what is
really being transmitted. It can be mitigated to some extent by using Main
on one ear and Both on the other.

BUT FOR ME - the really neat thing about the totally separate headphone IC
path is that SPOT and CW Sidetone levels are completely independent of where
the main or sub receiver audio output levels are set and are set by a menu
setting.  So if you have raised af gain or rf plus af gain way up to bring
up a weak signal , when you start sending , the cw sidetone does not tear
your head off- you alwys get the sidetone level you have preset.

Having said that I continue to beg TT to raise the CW sidetone level in OII
to at least the same as the SPOT level - it is especially needed now that
the headphone amp RF filter has added 24 ohms in series with the headphone
output. At a menu setting of 100 , the SPOT tone is about 72 mv RMS and the
CW sidetone is about 51 mv RMS open circuit -(the SPOT and CW sidetone
levels are set by the same menu item and are not independent of each
other )- It would be nice if SPOT and CW sidetone were BOTH settable in
menu  but I will settle for just getting more CW sidetone level.

73 de Hank K7HP