[TenTec] Orion II

n4dxi at aol.com n4dxi at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 22:18:36 EDT 2007

Francisco...I have enjoyed my Orion II for almost a year now.? The ability to load new versions of firmware is significant.? It's almost like getting a new transceiver and it beats sending the transceiver back to?the manufacturer?for upgrades.

I have the fan.? It's hot here in Florida and I do use the Orion II in contests so it's a good investment at low cost.

I have a Tentec microphone and a Heil, no problems with either.? The internal speaker is very good.?

If you?are going to use an amplifier, then the internal antenna tuner is not needed.

When I bought my Orion II, I also thought about the possibility of selling it someday in the way future.? I believe having the fan, a matching Tentec microphone,?and internal antenna tuner will help keep the resale value high.? Same is true for the filter upgrades.

One item I purchased that you may consider is the remote control.? The ability to tune and select cw and voice memories with the remote control is very nice.? You can "program" the remote for many variations on control.? Of course, if you use a computer to control the transceiver, it becomes secondary.

One last note: My last transceiver was a FT1000D with 200 watts.? The 200 watts was a big advantage over the 100 watts Orion II, especially when dealing with weak DX or pileups.? I ended up purchasing a used Tentec Century amplifier which made all the difference in the world.

73...John Bescher, n4dxi