[TenTec] Ten Tec Net Frequencies & Times?

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Sep 9 16:08:21 EDT 2007

>  I dunno -- UTC seems so easy to me - just get it from WWV - no
> calculations - no looking up is  daylight savings there , do they have
> daylight savings , no plus or minus an hour etc etc .

UTC is the standard way of expressing time of day by all radio operators
who are communicating between different time zones. All radio operators
should know the number of hours difference between their own local time
and UTC. This is easy to do, and when you know your own offset from UTC
there is no need to know what the offset is in other locations, provided
that UTC time is used for published radio schedules. Using this long
established standardized system is simple, effective and works for
everybody in all time zones. Older ARRL publications even state that
this is the correct and sensible way to do it. It requires less space to
print a schedule this way too, even if along with the schedule offsets
for a few time zones are printed for new operators who do net yet know
their UTC offset. It is truly bizarre that ARRL refuses to use the time
honored standard.

DE N6KB