[TenTec] Ten Tec Net Frequencies & Times?

John/K4WJ k4wj at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 9 17:52:39 EDT 2007

Pual,

0000 begins the new day. It is like 12:00 a.m. (midnight). It is the
time between 2359 and 0001. :-) How did the military teach you to
treat the time between 2359 and 0001? Did they pretend it didn't exist?

It is amazing how many OTs still don't use UTC. I mean some ex
military guys that have been hams since the 50s.

BTW, I was a radio operator in the Navy back in the early 60s.

73..de John/K4WJ

At 05:33 PM 9/9/2007, you wrote:
>What amuses me is when some hams use 2400 hrs... No such thing IMO.
>There is 2359 and then 0000 hrs. At least that is what I learned in the Army.
>
>Paul Gates, KD3JF
>
>Ken Brown <ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
> >  I dunno -- UTC seems so easy to me - just get it from WWV - no
> > calculations - no looking up is  daylight savings there , do they have
> > daylight savings , no plus or minus an hour etc etc .
> >

>UTC is the standard way of expressing time of day by all radio operators
>who are communicating between different time zones. All radio operators
>should know the number of hours difference between their own local time
>and UTC. This is easy to do, and when you know your own offset from UTC
>there is no need to know what the offset is in other locations, provided
>that UTC time is used for published radio schedules. Using this long
>established standardized system is simple, effective and works for
>everybody in all time zones. Older ARRL publications even state that
>this is the correct and sensible way to do it. It requires less space to
>print a schedule this way too, even if along with the schedule offsets
>for a few time zones are printed for new operators who do net yet know
>their UTC offset. It is truly bizarre that ARRL refuses to use the time
>honored standard.
>
>DE N6KB

73..de John/K4WJ
ex K8PXG 06/18/59 to 02/12/97