[TenTec] Omni VII, Antenna tuning, etc.

Larry DiGioia o2 at longwire.com
Mon Sep 10 20:03:44 EDT 2007

Good tuners, that will work on 80 and 160, will by necessity, consist of
at least (1) large, expensive, roller inductor, and at least (1) large,
expensive, variable capacitor.

Really good tuners may even use vacuum-variables, and possibly expensive
relays and/or band switches.

Even a "1.5KW" rated tuner can go up in flames, with only a few hundred
watts to a bad mismatch, if you aren't careful...

You aren't going to find even the bare parts for such a tuner for much
under $300.

If it were possible to substitute or miniaturize these parts and get the
same performance, there would be no market for the Palstar and other
fine tuners.

For more, see   http://www.palstar.com/

Larry  N8KU

Paul Gates, KD3JF wrote:
> For what it is worth... I am usually concerned about the cost of things. If I have to pay $300.00 for a tuner I am going to get one good for 3KW.
>
> Ernie Piche N1SW <n1sw at cox.net> wrote: John Huggins wrote:
>
>> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>>
>> Say I obtain the Omni VII radio and make good use of its Ethernet
>> control with OMNIVIIOnePlug program (and let's assume this works).
>>
>> For total automation of the station, should I rely on the internal
>> antenna matcher or offload this task to an external automatic matcher?
>>
>> In other words, should the extra $300 be spent on the internal matcher
>> or applied to other, perhaps more appropriate, matching gear?
>>
>> There are a lot of correct ways to to this of course, but the opinions
>> of those with experience are helpful.
>>
>> Thanks for any input.
>>
>> John
>> KX4O
>>

> Seems to me that if your are going to add an external  tuner then you
> will have to have a way to tune it remotely.  With the built in tuner
> the access will be through the One Plug GUI or if your antennas are well
> matched you won't need a tuner anyway.  Yes the remote operation does
> work I have been running my rig from my laptop, although only from
> within my own house, I think they would frown on me working DX from
> work.  Hi Hi!
>
> Ernie
> N1SW

Larry  N8KU