[TenTec] Fragile Radios

Steve Berg wa9jml at tbc.net
Fri Sep 14 23:42:12 EDT 2007

Thanks for the tip.  I'll look into replacing the electrolytics in the
rig.  I have replaced many of the old paper caps over the years.  One of
the more interesting examples of this was an old Hallicrafters TO keyer
where the speed tracked the ambient humidity level.  I replaced all the
black beauty caps, and it has worked great ever since.  It has taken me
a while to appreciate the Omni V. For many years I have run an Argonaut
II and it is much easier to use.  Works rather well, too.  But, I am
assured by some that the Omni has a much better receiver and I have put
the trusty Argo to work as the IF rig in my VHF setup.  I'll start
replacing caps and see where that takes the radio.  Then, I can put the
Autek filter back on the Drake 2B or the Gonset G-76.

Steve WA9JML