[TenTec] (no subject)

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Sun Sep 23 20:12:16 EDT 2007

The transistor "fry" because they heat up, their current gain
increases and the collector current runs away.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway#Bipolar_transistors>

You aren't going to be able to heat them up in 17nS they are
thermally too massive. The time constant in the power supply is not
the determining factor. The thermal time constant of the system is
the important issue.

This is not an over-voltage (punch through) failure which would
happen in the RF cycle timescale.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that this time constant is in the
hundreds of milliseconds or possibly even longer. So a rapidly
responding (but not too rapid) circuit breaker or fuse works as
effective SWR protection.

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell