[TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...

jmalloy jmalloy at stny.rr.com
Tue Sep 25 23:16:06 EDT 2007

> I recently acquired an Argosy 525D with the matching power supply, Model 670 keyer, and TT hand mike from an estate.
>
> I have no manual yet, although I have been promised it when it is found...
>
> It looks to me like a good basic radio. Can anyone tell me anything about it, pro or con???

I have a regular old Argosy, Tom, and love it even though I also have an
Orion and an Elecraft K2/100.  I first got an Argosy in 1980 and it was
my first brand new rig. It runs 50 watts (or 5 watts, selectable by a
switch on the rear panel) output, covers the 5 older ham bands and 30
meters as well (even 30 was not yet available to hams back then, but it
was to become available shortly and so Ten-Tec included it.  The
receiver is very hot (some say too hot) but limited in the numbers for
IMD and the like.  But it wasn't an expensive radio, so that's no
surprise.  There is an article posted on the web byTom Keil which
originally appeared in Ham Radio Magazine, Pages 38-50, November 1986
and can be found at http://www.qsl.net/tentec/mods/525mods.htm  It's
good article on improving the agc (the weak point of the rx), improving
the noise floor and so on.  Install some or all of the mods -- but even
as it is, the Argosy is a fun little radio.  Congratulations!

Joe, W2RBA