[TenTec] Tuning Rigs

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Sun Sep 30 19:51:41 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:39 -0400, Ron Zond wrote:
> Hi
>
> I usually tune my jap rig (Yaesu FT 100) with an aototuner;
> the foldback saves the finals.  My Omni V requires the
> time-tested method of adjusting the manual tuner for lowest SWR,
> raising the power and repeating (just asi the pi networks did on the old
> tube rigs).
> If the SWR is too high, the 960 shuts down.
> On the Yaesu, I use CW to tune the rig; much quieter (and legal; see FCC
> rules about
> superfluous communications).
>
> Ron
> K3MIY

The BETTER way of tuning the antenna with a manual tuner is using an
antenna analyzer, RF noise bridge, or a "Tuner Tuner." MFJ calls their
tuner tuner a Match Maker. MFJ-212. That puts no discrete or strong
signal on the band. Tuning at a watt or two, which many automatic tuners
will do still puts out that watt, sometimes enough to be heard around
the world.

73, Jerry, K0CQ