[TenTec] pilot light bulbs

Rick Denney rick at rickdenney.com
Mon Aug 4 18:18:25 EDT 2008

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson writes...

> I prefer a resistor to a gaggle of diodes. The status lites panel on an
> 821A-1 transmitter contained 41 or 42 lamps, all running 28 volts. Takes
> at least 4 diodes to make a useful drop for each lamp, or 165 diodes per
> radio.

Of course, you are talking about a Collins transmitter with 42 panel
lights driven probably from a range of different source points within
the circuit boards, while I am talking about a Ten Tec tuner, with
three or four panel lights being the only items driven by directly
wired outside power. And you are talking about a voltage that needs
four diodes to get a 10% drop while I'm talking about 12 volts that
only needs two. And you are talking about mass purchase for a
production situation while I'm talking about a mode by the owner to
one piece of equipment. We are both talking about something we do to
avoid the inconvenience of having to replace bulbs for a system that
already works fine as it is. Diodes or resistors--probably doesn't
matter much--use what's in the junk box. I think I'll make a new RCA
plug for that power connection and mount those whatever devices in the
shell of the plug.

Rick, KR9D