[TenTec] OT: a neat way to make a rotatable dipole

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Aug 5 10:46:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 16:28 +0800, Marinus Loewensteijn wrote:
> I think I just came across a neat way to make a rotatable dipole without using an insulator in the middle or splitting the dipole there. means there is no weakening the dipole in the centre which has always been a hindrance in the construction.
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Ant/LA6PB/splitdipoleeng.htm
>
> Just another way of using a choke, hi hi.
>
> Enjoy!
> 73,
> Marinus, ZL2ML

I propose a test. On a short tube, assemble the same number of toroids.
e.g. just the choke, no radiators. Measure the impedance. Wide SWR
bandwidth makes me suspicious there's considerable resistive loading.
And if the toroid material has been chosen for RFI choke duty that will
surely be the case, rather than RF transformer duty (which will have
lower permeability and so need a lot more core area).

73, Jerry, K0CQ