[TenTec] Soviet Product Obsolescence

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Sat Aug 9 22:44:57 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 10:11 -0400, Ron Zond wrote:
> Hi
>
> The tubes in the MiG 25 would survive EMP, but I doubt that the caps,
> resistors, and coils would survive. If the discrete components don't work,
> nothing else
> will.

I think the passive components will survive the EMP as good as the tubes
and far better than early solid state. Today's solid state (FET) devices
and circuits have a better chance of surviving than the earliest
germanium RF transistors which were very delicate (and very easily
overloaded leading to great amounts of intermod).

>  If you want to learn about the MiG 25, get John Barron's book  "MiG
> Pilot" . It gives an accurate
> portrayal of life in the Soviet Air Force of the period through the eyes of
> Viktor Belikov,
> the pilot who flew the MiG 25 to Chitose Air Base, Japan on Sept 6, 1976. 73
>
> Ron
> K3MIY

73, Jerry, K0CQ