[TenTec] OT: stealing Ground Radials at Tower Base

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 13:57:35 EDT 2008

I'm on several railfan lists as well, and this is a huge problem for the
railroads
right now.

Thieves are stealing wire that runs to the signals along the route,
creating a
potentially dangerous situation.

One guy was even caught with a cutting torch, trying to remove the rail
itself
at what he assumed to be an abandoned line.  Still, the property and tracks
belong to someone.

One reason that railroads that go our of business and are not bought by a
successor railroad rip up their tracks for salvage.  The former Milwaukee
Road did this on its western extension to Seattle and Tacoma.  Some of that
route was electrified, so a bonus on the overhead wire.

73 de Jim - AD6CW