[TenTec] Band Scopes, Engineers, Firmware, Etc.

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 19 17:38:08 EDT 2008

What you said!

Now, I've never used an IC-7800, a Yaesu FT-9000 or any of the other
high-end, high quality Japanese rigs. Maybe I'm really missing
something by not having a high-speed sweep function. But, contrary to
what I hear and read, I've found the band sweep function on my O II
to be rather useful. I can't see IMD components on it, but I can
easily see pile-ups and and even catch the stray CW signal.

I also actually tune the receiver, hunting for good opportunities,
but that harkens back to my earlier days with an ancient TS-930S, and
hollow-state radios before that. I simply don't see why there's such
a hue and cry over a Faster! More Colorful! Higher Resolution! band
sweep function that we absolutely positively must have *right now.*
In my benighted state, its lack doesn't keep me from enjoying my O
II, which is leaps and bounds beyond anything I've ever experienced.

Then again, maybe ignorance really is bliss...

Kim Elmore, N5OP