[TenTec] Corsair II QSK

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Wed Aug 20 04:43:45 EDT 2008

Bob,

You're right - diagnosing a wrong-value component was more difficult
than a faulty one.

One of my problems was that there is no parts layout diagram for the
board, so even when I discovered a 4.7uF capacitor I wasn't 100% sure I
was looking at the right component without being able to see the copper
traces. The only thing I had to go on was that it seemed to be in the
right area of the board, plus I couldn't see any 4.7uF capacitor on the
schematic.

Now here's an important lesson I learned about the IF/AF board when I
went to remove it from the chassis. Seeing the "notch" potentiometer
soldered to the board, and assuming that it would also be locked to the
front sub-panel with a nut, I removed the front panel to free it up. Not
a job I like, searching for the different Allen keys and removing all
the knobs etc :) When I got the front panel off, I discovered that this
is the only control NOT locked to the panel - it just pokes through. TT
rely on it being soldered to the board for its fixing! Now I have a note
in the manual!

And I've also put a note on the underside of the case to the effect that
I should be careful about the lead to the internal loudspeaker. I've now
had to repair the 'speaker 3 times when I've released the underside
panel and pulled it away from the rig too enthusiastically, only to find
I've ripped off the tiny leads to the 'speaker cone. Why TT didn't put a
connector in that lead I'll never know :)

73,
Steve G3TXQ