[TenTec] Band Scopes

shristov shristov at ptt.rs
Thu Aug 21 16:25:29 EDT 2008

Rick Denney <rick at rickdenney.com> wrote:

> 1. Isn't the real-time bandscope in a rig like the 756Pro made
> possible by the wide bandwidth of the first IF?

No, bandscope uses mixer output directly, prior to filtering,
exactly as in Orion.

> Does the Orion use the secondary
> receiver to sweep the vicinity to generate the bandscope display?

No, Orion has a separate ADC fed from main RX mixer output.

> 4. One of the things I like about my Omni V is the strong RF filtering
> in what amounts to a preselector and the strong (and very narrow
> compared with rigs whose IF is in the VHF range) filtering going into
> and within the first IF. These are the tools needed to prevent strong
> signals on nearby frequencies from desensing the receiver or causing
> mixing products that interfere with the desired signal. I would think
> that all this filtering would make it impossible to provide a
> real-time bandscope

IF filtering would certainly affect bandscope operation, but the preselector
effect would be very much less, especially from 14 MHz up.

> The bandscope on a 756 is pretty, but at what price do we get it?
> (Considering what I paid for my Omni V and RX-320, I would say that
> the price of that bandscope is something in the range of about $1200,

Hardware specific to the bandscope is worth around 20 dollars.
The bandscope alone cannot affect selling price very much,
and it didn't affect Orion's price significantly.

73,

Sinisa YT1NT