[TenTec] Hercules II fan noise

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Tue Aug 26 06:33:40 EDT 2008

I was trying to copy a weak CW signal yesterday, without headphones on,
and noticed just how intrusive the sound of my Hercules II cooling fan
is. I don't think it's any worse than when it was new - just that I
happened to notice it more. It doesn't help that the moment the amp
delivers any power - even as little as 40 Watts - the fan speed
increases, and with it the pitch of the noise.

Is this normal for the Hercules?  Have I got a faulty fan (from new)?
Are there alternative, quieter, fans?

Grateful for any views from other Hercules owners.

Steve G3TXQ