[TenTec] Regarding conversations with TT engineer(s)

Carl R Gansen wb0cff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 22:45:10 EDT 2008

I remember the furor of IC-706 buyers when the IC-706MK II came out.  It
was repeated when the IC-706MK II G came out.  A similar thing happened
each time they spun out a new IC-756/Pro/Pro II/Pro III.

Software can work only limited miracles.  Eventually new hardware is
needed for the next layer of miracles.  With the rapid obsolescence of
solid state components, sometimes the designers hands are tied.  I
work for a larger company and our vendors give us "last buy" notices.
The providers are going to quit producing a part and we need to order
either enough for  our product life time or enough to keep us going
until we can offer a re-designed product.  Both can be financially risky
options.

Ten Tec has been quite responsible in this regard.  They quit making and
selling the Omni 6+ (foregoing income and tipping their hand to
competitors) in advance of the Orion.  They  did a similar thing
in advance of the Orion II.  Both times they kept their customers
rather informed so that you could choose to wait for the newer option.

They provided upgrade paths from the Omni 6 to the 6+.  They had no
obligation to do that.  Ten Tec has a history of continual improvement.
I would rather see that than have them stagnate and march into history
with R.L. Drake, Hammarlund, Heathkit, Halicrafters.....

--
Carl R. Gansen WB0CFF
9300 W225th Street