[TenTec] OT: logging programs

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Aug 28 12:10:21 EDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:28:38 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:

>So far the contact entry does not seem very easy to use.

For real time logging, click on the Capture button (on the Log QSO page,
just above the log, next to the big left-right buttons). This opens a
window for entering a "live" QSO. When you enter a call, the big window
will show previously entered QSOs with that station.

>Maybe there are
>some hints I can pick up if I decide to give a bunch of personal
>information to Yahoo. If DXKeeper does not "grow on me" I'll try some of
>the others.

There's pretty good help written for DXKeeper, and it's fairly context
sensitive (roughly to the level of which major element of the program that
you're in). I recently sent out a bunch of cards (for the first time in
MANY years). Before beginning, I printed out the Help for QSLing. I found
it VERY well organized and easy to understand, and it worked the way it
was written. I asked DXKeeper to print labels for the cards onto Avery
labels. All I had to do was tweak the spacing slightly to work with my
printer (and, of course, select which QSOs to QSL).

>One feature I really want is to see previous QSOs with a station as soon
>as I enter the callsign. I like to be reminded of a name and QTH for a
>station I worked years ago.

That's how it works. See my first paragraph. Also, go to the Config menu
and look at the options on the General Tab, then hit Help to see how those
options work.

It would also be nice if the QSO entry
>looked like a new line in the log sheet, instead of a bunch of spaces
>spread out in a somewhat random manner in two dimensions instead of on
>just one line.

I'm pretty well satisfied with the Capture window. The main thing I miss
is not being able to edit the log as entries on a line (like a
spreadsheet). I suspect there are programming reasons why this is not
done. But what you CAN do is go to any entry in the log and edit it in the
area above the log. Once you've done that, the Log button or the arrow
keys will save the change.

It's also possible to change what information is displayed in the Log, and
in what order. That's on the Log page of the Config Menu.

73,

Jim K9YC