[TenTec] Orion and O II Firmware Update?

Martin Sole msole at loxinfo.co.th
Mon Dec 1 18:52:33 EST 2008

I have no information on this but I wouldn't hold your breath. Beta
testing radio software can take a looooong time, depending. With all of
the issues that seem to have accompanied the original Orion V2.xxx
software and the apparent de-valuing of various V1.xxx features I would
assume that T-T will want to be as sure as they can that they have all
their bases covered.

As a rough guide and with no other information to go on I would suggest
budgeting something like 6 to 8 months for beta testing followed by a
further couple of months for any documentation issues to be resolved. If
testing reveals any major flaws the re-coding, re-testing, and
re-documentation will likely add to that.

Like many I guess I am keen to see what a software update will do for my
radio, I suspect not as much as I wish, but I wouldn't expect to hear
about it quickly other than a few sneak peek details about new and/or
improved goodies that the marketing dept lets 'slip'. I am curious to
know though, who is paying for all this software work? T-T code is not
freely available for all to contribute to and work on so I guess
somebody somewhere is getting paid to work on it, but who is paying them?

Martin, HS0ZED