[TenTec] Microphones

alan geller alan_geller2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 12:11:02 EST 2008

Scott,
If you want the ultimate setup, take a look at VE7TK's home page. He used that audio setup with his Omni VI+ before he upgraded to to his Orion.
I started on that path but decided that I didn't want to invest in that level of microphone and it introduced too many cables, but it is interesting for a real audiophile.I still have the Behringer UB802 Mixer and DSP1142P which are both relatively inexpensive. I'll sell them both for $75 if you want to take that path.

I now get stunning reports with the "Studio" mike, Heil built for TenTec connected thru a W2IHY EQ. Heil used one of his better elements with a broad response and it needs the EQ which gives you lot of control and more knobs to play with. I acquired both of these units used which helped me justify the upgrade and it was well worth it. I couldn't find the mike in Heils Website in order to understand the response characteristics, so I sent him an e-mail. He graciously responded...see below

Alan/K6ADG

The Studio ONE  was built for Ten Tec when they introduced the Orion 1.  I used one our PR 20 microphone elements in the body.  You should be just fine - especially with the W2IHY EQ system.  Listen to yourself through a second receiver and a pair of headphones.

Have fun !

BOB HEIL
www.heilsound.com/pro/