[TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Dec 15 14:33:37 EST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:27:01 -0500, John Rippey wrote:

>Any thoughts as to the practicality of this idea?

I suggest that you make contact with other hams in your area who
are active on HF. As a starting point, try Eric, W3DQ, who's quite
active in the Potomac Valley Radio Club (PVRC). His club and my
club, the Northern California Contest Club, are friendly
competitors in HF contesting. My club (based in the Bay Area
around San Francisco) includes a lot of members in your position,
and some of our members share their shacks with others who live in
cramped city spaces where antennas are impractical. And, of
course, the guests contribute to setting up the host's shack,
antennas, etc.

As an example, N6BV lives in a San Francisco apartment, so his
Orion lives at N6RO, where over the years BV and RO have built a
spectacular antenna farm, with help from a bunch of other NCCC
members.

Some clubs also maintain a club station. K6BJ, the Santa Cruz club
station, is set up for both local operation and remote access. One
of the great things a ham club can do is help its members get on
the air, help each other with antennas, solving noise and RFI
issues, even finding gear for the station. Most of the hams I know
have stuff in their basement. :)

73,

Jim K9YC