[TenTec] The Titan IIII ????

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Thu Dec 18 13:16:46 EST 2008

Elecraft was working on exactly that, but the project got shelved in favor
of the K3.  You can see "inside" pictures of the prototype KPA800 and
KPA1500 on my website www.N6IE.com .

The whole world is going to solid state for high-power amplifiers,
especially in the broadcast business, but there are still some drawbacks.
All too often, the final amplifier devices go obsolete and out of
production, rendering the amp useless if the finals blow.   SS amps are
broadband, however they cannot match the efficiency of tuned vacuum tube
circuits.  The lower efficiency means dealing with more heat dissipation and
the SS devices are less tolerant of heat then are tubes.  High-power SS
devices are very tricky to change, usually requiring a trip back to the
factory.  Also, typical SS circuits like to see 50 j0 loads, so internal
auto tuners are a good idea, especially in the > 600 Watt class.  That being
said, instant on, no high voltage and no loud squirrel cage blowers make
them a dream!

In FM broadcasting, we use mostly "pallet" amplifiers that are built into
multiple modules that run 600-1,200 Watts each, run through combiners for
full power (up to 45 kW key down 24/7/365 in broadcasting!) which is similar
to the concept that Elecraft was shooting for.  The "flat-rate" cost to
repair one of these modules in the broadcast world is anywhere from $900 to
$1,500, although hopefully it will be less in the ham market.

         Ron   N6IE
      www.N6IE.com