[TenTec] The Titan IIII ????

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Dec 19 18:23:48 EST 2008

I have a Titan 425, and I like it a lot. I call it an "almost legal
limit amplifier" because it will not generate a full 1500 watts on every
band, and what it can produce, it cannot do continuously without
overheating. It is better than some amplifiers that are called "full
legal limit" in that it will produce 1500 watts on most bands, and it
will do it long enough that you can see it on a wattmeter that is not a
peak reading wattmeter. The 425 is a good medium power amplifier. I used
it in the ARRL 160 contest a few weeks ago, and it performed flawlessly
throughout the whole contest, at about 1200 watts output in CW mode. I
expect that even in a 48 hour contest with daylight hours operation it
would work just as well at that power level. I would not attempt to use
it at 1500 watts output in RTTY mode, and so I don't consider it a full
legal limit amplifier.

DE N6KB