[TenTec] Lone voice in the wind

John Huffman hjohnc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 13:46:58 EST 2008

I've been stewing about getting an update for my Orion I.  Not getting
the update had made the update seem like something I really needed.  It
was like I was missing out.

After reviewing the Ten Tec update page I saw that all I was missing was
a different AGC setup.

No doubt when the update arrives, after all this anticipation, it will
be a disappointment.  Not because it doesn't do as promised, but because
the anticipation has built it up to being the ultimate answer to
everyone's gripes and concerns.

Messages will fly about the updated AGC and the old AGC and a vocal
group will advocate going back to the old AGC.  In the end, the
differences will be minor.

Same with the screen stuff for the Orion II.  Some will like it, some
won't and will complain and threaten to quit buying from Ten Tec.  Most
of the screen stuff can be handled by external methods already.

I'm not going to worry about the update for now.  I like the radio, it
does a great job for me and the items in the update won't change things
much one way or the other.

The bottom line won't be when the update arrives, it will be determining
if the update includes anything significant.

73 de K1ESE
John